Consumers say they understand the financial process of buying a home, but there are widespread misconceptions about what it takes to qualify for a mortgage, according to a new Wells Fargo...
Outlook for Mortgage Credit Mixed
Risk managers for U.S. banks are almost evenly divided over prospects for residential mortgage credit over the next half year, according to the credit scoring company FICO.
Asked about the availability of mortgage credit for buying homes over the next six months, just over half â 51 percent â said it would be adequate to meet demand. The remaining 49 percent said they expect it to fall short, with no option for âundecidedâ in the survey.
Thatâs a slightly more pessimistic view than the last FICO survey three months ago, when 55 percent said they expected mortgage credit to meet demand through the rest of the year.
bank risk managers in the survey were more optimistic about the availability of credit for refinancing a mortgage, with three out of five saying they expected credit to be adequate to meet demand over the next six months.
Tight credit has been a major burden on the housing market, particularly for residential sales. The National Association of Realtors has estimated that more traditional lending standards would boost home sales by 500,000 â 700,000 a year. The current rate is about 4.6 million annually.
Outlook good for credit cards, auto loans
The outlook was more positive for credit cards and auto loans, where about three-quarters of risk managers foresaw an adequate supply of credit over the next six months for each. They were less optimistic about small business and students loans, where about 45 percent of risk managers expected credit availability to fall short for each.
In terms of credit delinquencies, the majority expected them to stay the same or decrease over the next sixth months for both residential mortgages and home equity lines. Roughly a quarter in each category expected delinquencies to worsen.
Asked about personal financial decisions
One of the more interesting parts of the survey was where risk managers were asked what they would do, personally, if they had enough cash on hand to immediately pay off their mortgage. Of these financial professionals, 35 percent said they would pay off their home loan, the most popular response.
Another 22.5 percent said they would invest it in the stock market, 19.5 percent would pay off other debts and 12.5 percent said they would invest in bonds and fixed-income assets. The least popular option was putting it in CDs or a savings account, chosen by 10.5 percent.
First published at: http://www.mortgageloan.com/outlook-mortgage-credit-mixed-9268
If you would have qualified for a mortgage loan in 2013, the odds are high that you'll qualify for one today, too, even after new lending rules that went into effect in January of this...
Shopping for a mortgage can be an intimidating process, particularly for a first-time homebuyer. There are a lot of details, unfamiliar terminology and new concepts to get a handle on....
Fannie Mae is making it easier for borrowers who have suffered certain types of major financial crises to become homeowners again, reducing waiting times and lowering down payment...
Latest from our Contributors
Browse Mortgage Rates
Browse our comprehensive guides to popular topics related to mortgage and personal finance.